Monday, February 10, 2014

"Old wild men..."

"...waiting for miracles."
 
Speaking on the Sputnik.  Talking on the Telstar.  Chatting on the Coffee Can & String.
 
On the phone with my dear artist friend, David Fontana.  He and I have been winding up the Year of the Snake and beginning the Year of the Horse, like Mirror Images.
 
We both have been seeing off the passing of our final parent.  He, his Father.  Me, my Mother.  And like the brilliant art of his Space Pirate Radio G3 of Pyramids, we two figures have been spinning the same record.  A Turn of the Cards indeed.  Phasing.  And hopefully, it's just a phase we're going through.  Left Coast.  Right Coast.  Each going through our respective parents' belongings, memories and affairs.  Dealing with family.  Siblings.  2 Brothers, he.  1 Sister, me.
 
Mirrors.  Reflective.  Synchronistic, yet the Reverse.  Feels like a piece of fiction.
 
I hope all people can have conversations with friends of over forty years, where the mood and text of the talks seems like you just met someone who shares a fondness for your most obscure tastes.  Yet in a parallel world, both persons have a shared history.  A history and a mystery.  Many mysteries.  So each person is always surprising the other with nuggets of nostalgia and discoveries du discos.  New ARTeries.
 
Yours truly is lucky to have a small circle of such comrades.  My best male friends are often named David.  Mr. Fontana, like myself, is blessed with the companionship of a long term best friend, also called in certain circles, a wife.  We are two pods in a pea.  Yes, folks.  It is like a piece of fiction.
 
"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."  I think that was an insurance ad jingle.  Owlstate.   "You're in Good Barns."  "Who gives a Hoot?"  Progresso, I've.  "You're covered...IN SOUP!"  ********  Sorry.  Lost my mind there.
 
Oh, yeah.  My friend David Fontana.  Brilliant artist.  Check out his blog sites.  They are on my profile page under Blogs I Follow.  They're all his.  Artist.  Musician.  Magus.  Great Wit.  Lesser mortals sometimes think he's me.  (Poor Meester Fontana.)  Nope, he's an Original.  And in conversation?  It's a Meeting of the Mimes.  Two Rack On Turds.  Excuse-A-Moi!
 
"Did you lose your mind again, Monsieur?" 
 
Besides his talents as an artist, of which I have always had great admiration, it is the music that inspires our mutual muses.  David absorbs the variety of foreign sounds and styles that began our friendship and collaborations.  He is my best Italian friend, always bringing me into an environment of Fellini and PFM.  Per Un Amico.  But like my initial obsessions with Space Pirate Radio, he is quick to remind me that it is the German musicians that ignite the flame of inspiration.  David has been kind to say on his blog DJ Scungilli, that it was hearing Ash Ra Tempel and Cosmic Jokers; Amon Duul 2 and Popol Vuh on the air, that fueled his early days at art school.  In later years, he went to Germany to play music with some of the experimentalists I aired.  In England, he hung with the Canterbury musos.  When Daevid Allen sojourned in Santa Barbara, Banana Fontana was ready to be in the next evolution of Gong.  The Pot Head Pixie even used my friend's cool guitar, both musically and photographically, on a single shot I believe.
 
While talking on the wireless, I mentioned to my friend, that water plays a Greek Chorus in our lives.  The Naughty Cal wordplay abounds.  The Pacific of Santa Barbara in the '70s.  The amon dual bodies of water in Florida.  I can't imagine turning Space Pirate Radio into what it conceptually began without the addition of that seaside, night time view of the Santa Barbara harbour from the Eighth Floor of the Granada Theatre building.  Blobfish sailed in his boat during those wee coastal mornings.  Each of us Captains of our Vessel.  It was magic, folks!
 
Well, that's what good art, amongst good friends will do to you.  Time to make magick again.
 
"Lord have mercy upon the many.  Lord have mercy...on me...and...on you."  :)X