Friday, February 21, 2014

An Index of Meddles.

There have been over 150 posts on The Melting Watchtowre since December 2009.  It was always my intention from the first one on, to title them using either a line of dialogue from a film, play, television show, radio program, song lyric, work of fiction or title from any of these sources.  They are all in quotes.  Reprinted works of satire are listed under their original titles and have no quotes.  An original title for the entry, like the one above, also has no quotes.  Having been asked the source for various entries, I thought I would undertake a basic list, starting with the first.  Early on, I considered turning this into a contest, but have come to some, if not all, of my senses.  Thank you for reading.  Here is the first third:

December 2009
 
1)  "I bid you welcome."  Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931.
 
 
January 2010
 
2)  "Everything I've ever told you has been a lie, including that."  Peter Cook, BEDAZZLED, 1967.
 
3)  Twelve Of The Most Forgotten Films.  Guy Guden comedy article from 1980.
 
4)  "That's wrong isn't it?  Surely that's wrong."  Victor Spinetti, A HARD DAY'S NGHT, 1964.
 
5)  "You might say it's quiet enough for a drum solo."  SECRET AGENT TV series episode, "The Not So Jolly Roger."
 
6)  "Quiet enough for a drum solo?"  SECRET AGENT TV series episode, "The Not So Jolly Roger."
 
 
February 2010

7)  "Gordon, can this music be turned off?"  Peter Reigert to Denis Lawson, LOCAL HERO, 1983.
 
8)  "Whenever I hear the word 'culture,' I bring out my checkbook."  Jack Palance to Fritz Lang, CONTEMPT, 1963.
 
9)  "Get thee to a nunnery."  HAMLET.
 
10)  "O, I am fortune's fool!"  ROMEO & JULIET
 
11)  "Green is the colour..."  Song and lyric, Pink Floyd.
 
12)  "But I won't go into exile, see?"  David Warner, MORGAN!, 1966
 
13)  "Oh, but that's all superstition."  Dwight Frye, DRACULA, 1931.
 
 
March 2010
 
14)  "What's the recipe today, Jim?  Spike Milligan, THE GOON SHOW.
 
15)  "If you must go, wear this for your mother's sake."  Woman to Dwight Frye, DRACULA, 1931.
 
16)  "I am I, Don Peyote.  The Man of La Munchies."  Guy Guden script for NOTHING IS SACRED, 1973.
 
17)  Cable TV Guide.  Guy Guden comedy article from 1984.
 
18)  "There was a young lady from Exeter."  Peter Sellers, THE MAGIC CHRISTIAN, 1969.
 
19)  "I don't like reggae... I love it."  10cc lyric, DREADLOCK HOLIDAY.
 
 
April 2010
 
20)  "It would be so nice..."  Pink Floyd song and lyric, written by Rick Wright.
 
21)  "I think it would be fun to run a newspaper."  George Colouris in CITIZEN KANE, 1941.
 
22)  Music in Mayaland.  Guy Guden comedy article from 1983.
 
 
May 2010
 
23)  "I like thighs.  Do you like thighs?"  Peter Sellers to Peter O'Toole in WHAT'S NEW, PUSSYCAT?  1965.
 
24)  "Don't Margo worry."  Flubbed line by Orson Welles on live radio, THE SHADOW, 1937.
 
25)  "Small minds run in the same gutter"  Quote from MAD Magazine, late 1950s.
 
26)  Shakespeare's Lost Works.  Guy Guden comedy article from 1980.
 
27)  "The important thing is to pull yourself up by your own hair..."  Peter Weiss, MARAT/SADE, 1963.
 
 
June 2010
 
28)  On Turning 31.  Guy Guden article from 1981.
 
29)  "Copy boy!"  Frank Lovejoy from radio's NIGHT BEAT, 1952.
 
30)  "You're way above our heads."  Spoken to Eros in PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, 1959.
 
 
July 2010
 
31)  Food and Drink, Without the Food.  Guy Guden article from 1981.
 
32)  "If I had all the money I spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."  Vivian Stanshall, SIR HENRY AT RAWLINSON END, 1978.
 
33)  "It's only a movie."  Family, album and song, 1973.
 
 
August 2010
 
34)  "For one who has not lived even a single lifetime...you are a wise man, Van Helsing."  Bela Lugosi to Edward Van Sloan, DRACULA, 1931.
 
35)  An American Zany in Europe.  Guy Guden article from 1983.
 
36)  "I thought you were supposed to be in Paris."  David Hemmings to Veruschka, BLOW UP, 1966.
 
37)  Vive La Fiasco!  Guy Guden article from 1980.
 
38)  "Listen to them.  Children of the night.  What music they make."  Bela Lugosi to Dwight Frye, DRACULA, 1931.
 
39)  "By gad, sir, you are a character."  Sydney Greenstreet to Humphrey Bogart, THE MALTESE FALCON, 1941.
 
40)  "I need a bohemian atmosphere."  James Fox to Mick Jagger, PERFORMANCE, 1970.
 
41)  Santa Barbara Surrealism.  Guy Guden article from 1981.
 
 
September 2010
 
42)  "Virgin On The Ridiculous"  Caravan song title.
 
43)  "I was classed as a madman, a charlatan..."  Bela Lugosi speech from BRIDE OF THE MONSTER, 1955
 
44)  "..Outlawed in a world of science which previously honored me as a genius..."  Bela Lugosi speech continued.
 
45)  "...Now here in this forsaken jungle Hell, I have proven that I am all right!"  Bela Lugosi speech concluded.
 
46)  A Study in Slightly Beige: or, the case of the Japanese doormen.  Guy Guden article from 1981.


October 2010
 
47)  "Pygmy!"  Basil Rathbone to Nigel Bruce, SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE SPIDER WOMAN, 1944.
 
48)  "Here we are starving to death, and all you can think of is food."  Peter Sellers to Spike Milligan, THE GOON SHOW.
 
49)  "Please don't squeeze the Shaman."  Guy Guden as Karma Denominator, SPACE PIRATE RADIO, 1970s
 
50)  "We can dance if we want to."  Lyric from "The Safety Dance."  Men Without Hats, 1983.
 
 
2/3rds to go........